Sacred Oath of the Guardian
Oath of the Guardian
The Oath of the Guardian binds a paladin to the defense of those who cannot defend themselves. Sometimes called knight protectors, pious templars, or divine crusaders, these paladins know that there will always be a place for them on the front lines of the battle with evil. Whether it is a small village, a single maiden, or an entire city that is threatened with destruction, they hold themselves to the expectation of protecting all who do not have the means to protect themselves. Many who swear this oath are devoted to gods of life and war, and use their gods' tenets as their guide through the trials they face.
Tenets of the Oath
The tenets of the Oath of the Guardian vary by paladin, but all the tenets revolve around the protection of the weak or misjudged. Paladins who uphold these tenets are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to protect the innocent from evil or injustice, using their own sensibilities to differentiate between someone who needs their assistance, and someone who is manipulating others for their own ends.
- Protect the Innocent. Stand as the bulwark upon which the hordes of those that would destroy or take advantage of the weak or innocent are broken.
- Many Before One. Let your personal ambitions be secondary to the needs of those you protect.
- Resolve. Always continue on in the face of adversity, persevere when others fall short, and be prepared to end a threat permanently to ensure lasting protection of those in charge.
- Valour. Always be prepared to stand before evil or injustice to save a life, even in the face of impossible odds.
- Discernment. Your ability to defend the weak is wasted on those who feign helplessness. Always know the truth of your charges' need.
- Character. Your words and your deeds should engender trust, dependability, and hope to all those you encounter. You do not know who will be the next to need your protection and your name should be beyond reproach, so as to be the first called upon when destruction is foreshadowed.
You gain the oath spells at the paladin levels listed.
Oath of the Guardian Spells
|3rd||false life, healing word|
|5th||enhance ability, warding bond|
|9th||leomund's tiny hut, protection from energy|
|13th||freedom of movement, ottiluke's resilient sphere|
|17th||mass cure wounds, wall of force|
When you take this Oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options:
- Anvil and Hammer. As a bonus action, you compel a creature within 30 feet of you to focus its attacks on yourself. The creature makes a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it has disadvantage on attack rolls for any attack that does include you as a target for 1 minute. Also, it takes radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier + your paladin level (minimum 1) each time it makes an attack that doesn't include you as a target.
- Divine Ward. As a reaction, you protect an ally from harm if they are within 30 feet of you and are hit with an attack. You must use this ability before the damage result is known. When you use this ability, whatever damage or conditions that would have affected your ally affect you instead. You make any saving throws as normal. The ward remains on the target for 1 minute, and you can't use your reaction on subsequent turns to redirect further damage or effects to yourself as long as your remain within 30 feet of your ally.
Aura of Liberty
Starting at 7th level, your divine power empowers you and friendly creatures from being restrained. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you gain advantage on any saving throw or ability check to avoid being restrained. If the restraining effect does not normally allow a saving throw or ability check, you may attempt one with disadvantage to avoid the effect.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.
Bastion of Defense
Starting at 15th level, you subtract your Charisma modifier from all bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage you receive.
At 20th level, you can cause yourself to become an impenetrable bulwark of divine energy. Using your action, you undergo a transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
- Your skin hardens and changes into a platinum sheen, your eyes turn gold, and all damage you take from any source is reduced by 5 + your Charisma modifier. This ability does not stack with your Aura of Protection.
- You emanate an aura of compulsion in a 30-foot radius. The first time any enemy creature enters the aura or starts its turn there during a battle, the creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or direct all of its attacks against you. If a creature has an area of effect attack, it must include you as a target.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.